Senior Administrative Officer and Company Secretary
Senior Administrative Officer and Company Secretary
Rye, Winchelsea and District Memorial Hospital Ltd
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer
Salary £30,000 – £33,000 pa
Rye, Winchelsea and District Memorial Hospital Limited, is a charity based in Rye which provides a range of community health services including a community hospital, a doctors’ surgery, and residential apartments for the over 60s. It is currently completing the building and commissioning of a Community Wellbeing Centre (The Hub on Rye Hill) and has leased another part of the estate for the development (by a third party) of a residential care home during 2020.
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Administrative Officer and Company Secretary is a full-time role, responsible for a wide range of administrative duties and activities to support the effective management of the Charity, its operations, and management of its tenants and leases. Key elements of the role include:
• carrying out Company Secretary duties,
• maintaining the day to finances for the Charity
• acting as Secretary to the Board of the Charity
• supporting the Chair of the Friends’ of Rye Hospital across a range of activities including fundraising, promotions, events, and co-ordinating the volunteer support for the Hospital and The Hub
• working with the Maintenance and Hub Co-ordination teams to support the effective delivery of operational activities across the estate.
More detailed responsibilities and duties are detailed below:
• To provide Board meeting support to include preparation and distribution of agendas, attendance at Board Meetings, taking minutes and circulating to members once approved.
• Attending Board Governance meetings to report on finances, taking minutes and circulating to members once approved.
• Maintaining HR records and working with the COO to deal with HR matters and issues.
• Dealing with Rates and VAT issues.
• Co-ordinating Companies House and Charity Commission annual returns and updates.
• Monitoring utilities accounts and other 3rd party services (e.g. refuse collection) etc.
• Supporting the COO in negotiations with current suppliers or introducing new suppliers to ensure best value for money.
• Maintaining all paper records correctly including Leases, Agreements, Financial documents and Accounts.
• Annually review Insurance with the COO to ensure correct cover
• Monitoring overall financial performance against budgeted forecast and reporting variances to the COO and Board.
• Entering all income and expenditure invoices onto the Sage accounting system and in the accounts book
• Paying expenditure invoices and sending out remittance advices
• Arranging bank payments with cash and cheques received
• Raising invoices for tenants and other customers. Taking appropriate action to collect outstanding payments
• Monitoring bank accounts regularly, transferring sums across accounts when necessary and as instructed
• Making bank payments for Staff pay, HMRC payment, and NEST pension payments and entering journals on Sage
• Managing petty cash, using the charity Debit card as necessary, reconciling monthly
• Purchasing equipment as needed via online bank payment or debit card
• Liaising with Auditors and Accountants
• Reconciling bank accounts with statements
• Monitoring Service Charge expenditure throughout the year to ensure adherence to budget
• Providing support to the Board and the Chief Operating Officer
• Attending The Friends of the Hospital at Rye executive meetings, taking minutes and circulating to members once approved
• Reporting on the financial accounts for The Friends
• Attending other Liaison meetings as necessary
• Maintaining good communication and relationships with NHS staff in the hospital
• Maintaining liaison with Sanctuary Housing staff at St Bartholomew’s Court (over 60s apartments)
• Liaising with the RMC practice manager (GP’s surgery).
• Dealing with incoming enquiries related to the varied activities of the Charity
• Ensuring public areas in the hospital are managed effectively, dealing with issues or problems as they arise
• Managing and co-ordinating Volunteer support for the Charity, specifically;
o To attend the hospital Reception as necessary to speak to visitors, or to deal with problems/complaints
o To oversee the Outpatient area, support Desk Volunteers with Clinic Facilitators, liaise with the Outpatient Matron who is based in Hastings
Other Support activity
• Liaising with the Maintenance team to ensure all Health and Safety requirements are being maintained
• Liaising with the Maintenance team and the Hub Co-ordinators to ensure absences and call outs are effectively managed. This may involve occasional out of hours attendance on site to deal with emergency or unplanned issues.
• Liaising closely with the Maintenance team and the Hub Co-ordinators to deal with day to day issues as they arise and ensure effective plans are in place to deal with on-going Site management requirements
• Reporting to Governance regarding Statutory Compliance requirements, Health and Safety performance and operating expenditure.
• To support the chairperson of the Friends’ of Rye Hospital with fund raising activities and to provide administrative assistance as required.
• To update and maintain the membership database
• To maintain records of Fundraising Income and projected income
• To process and acknowledge all donations and legacies
• To maintain an up to date rolling record of Gift Aid, and the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme returns to HMRC, submitting quarterly throughout the financial year
• To correspond with donors and banks to set up, monitor and update regular giving under Bank Standing Orders or similar
• To support the Board in organising a range of events, golf days, bridge afternoons, talks, film and quiz nights. These events often take place outside of regular office hours (e.g. evenings and weekends)
• To investigate and book venues as needed
• To advertise events and publicise the charity using local and social media
• To manage event expenditure and income
• To ensure risk assessments for all events are carried out in order to comply with insurance requirements
• To organise and promote the Charity’s Annual raffle
• To liaise with local artist regarding the Charity’s annual Christmas Card and liaise with local printers – Supply Cards for Good Causes with Charity cards as necessary.
Communication and Promotional
• Maintaining and developing the Hospital website and The Hub website. Uploading new content, and creating new pages and layouts as needed
• Developing the Charity’s presence on social media such as Facebook and Twitter etc.
• Organising the production, printing and distribution of the twice-yearly newsletter, including planning new articles, collecting photographs from events, promoting future events, and overall editorial co-ordination
Personal competencies, skills and experience
• Excellent and wide-ranging administrative skills, combined with determination and a positive attitude to support the charity’s work across all facets of its business
• Good skills across the range of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc).
• Experience of maintaining and reporting financial accounts
• Experience in taking minutes of meetings
• Excellent communication and co-ordination skills
• Good team working skills and experience
• Experience in dealing with the general public and customers
• Some experience of marketing and/or event management