Building and Grounds Maintenance Operative
Rye, Winchelsea and District Memorial Hospital Ltd (RWDMH Ltd), is a charity based in Rye which provides a range of community health services including a community hospital, a doctors’ surgery, and residential apartments for the over 60s. It is currently completing the building and commissioning of a Community Wellbeing Centre (The Hub on Rye Hill) and has leased another part of the estate for the development (by a third party) of a residential care home during 2020.
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Building and Grounds Maintenance Operative will undertake a wide range of duties to support the upkeep and maintenance of the of the estate within the demise of RWDMH Ltd. This will include internal and external building fabric, maintenance of mechanical, electrical and water systems and equipment, and maintenance of the external grounds.
The Building and Grounds Maintenance Operative will also liaise with tenants and other occupants of the estate to ensure that any shared services are managed appropriately.
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor suitable training and development plans will be arranged to ensure the Operative has the necessary competencies to meet the requirements of the role.
• Working hours will normally be 0800hrs –1600hrs Monday to Friday, with a one-hour flexible lunch break. Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor these hours will remain flexible in order to meet the operational needs of the site. In addition, out of hours call outs (including evenings and weekends) may be required to deal with emergency issues. Time off in lieu will be arranged to compensate for additional hours worked.
• Building Maintenance – To undertake planned and reactive maintenance tasks in order to maintain the buildings and grounds within the demise of RWDMH Ltd (which includes the Community Hospital and The Hub on Rye Hill) in good and safe substantial repair, and ensure all statutory obligations are met. This will include:
o Building Fabric (internal and external)
o Water systems including water hygiene (temperature monitoring, flushing, shower head cleaning, tank cleaning.)
o Drainage (sewerage and stormwater)
o Electrical systems including power and lighting,
o Mechanical systems including heating,
o Security and Fire Systems and fire equipment
o Lifts and all services to common areas
• Grounds Maintenance -To ensure the grounds (within the demise of RWDMH Ltd) are well maintained, including paths, boundary hedges and fences.
o To carry out general hedge cutting, grass cutting, planting and weeding, in accordance with seasonal needs.
o To keep all external areas clean, tidy and safe
o To empty waste bins twice weekly, (within the demise of RWDMH Ltd)
o To carry out contracted gardening for RMC (the surgery)
o To maintain gardening machinery and equipment and report any repair or servicing requirements to the Maintenance Supervisor.
o Autumn and Winter Maintenance – To ensure paths and roads are maintained in a safe condition and are clear of ice, snow, leaves and other debris, undertaking gritting as necessary.
• IT & Telephony – To ensure the Telephony and IT systems are maintained and working (training and induction will be provided).
o Ensure the telephony, broadband, Wi-Fi and streaming arrangements are working effectively, reporting faults to the Maintenance Supervisor to enable designated third-party support to resolve problems
o Support IT/Telephony relocations as needed
o Maintain the telephony administration system
o Assist occupants and visitors with telephone faults and queries.
o Provide IT support where appropriate and where possible (within the parameters of NHS IT security)
• Other duties and role requirements
o Administration – Maintain site records and plans
o Ensure the Vending Machine is working and stocked
o Ensure Clinical Waste is managed effectively with particular regard to hygiene and storage
o Give full support to the NHS staff in the hospital when required, and in the event of an emergency
o Provide cover for the Hospital Reception, if requested (when volunteers are unavailable)
o Support the Hub Co-ordinators as necessary to ensure the Hub is operated effectively. and that users and visitors are well looked after
o Support fundraising events as requested
o To work co-operatively with and assist all Hospital and Hub staff (reporting any significant issues to the Maintenance Supervisor).
o To maintain contact with the other occupants of the estate (RMC – the surgery, Sanctuary Housing – the retirement apartments, and Greensleeves – the new care home under development) on all issues of joint services, observing and reporting any potential issues in the use and maintenance of their premises.
Personal competencies, skills and experience
• Experience of delivering of mechanical, electrical, building fabric and grounds maintenance tasks and services
• Self-motivated, resourceful and pro-active
• Good customer service skills
• Ability to work to a high standard against agreed timescales with limited supervision
• Experience of working with third party organisations to deliver required outcomes
• Some technical knowledge in respect of Building and Grounds Maintenance
• An understanding of current Health and Safety at Work legislation
• Desirable – experience of working in a hospital or similar medical environment
Starting salary £19500 – £21000 depending on experience and company pension scheme.
Anticipated start date middle of May 2020.
To apply please send your CV and letter of application to:
Katie Gurney, Company Secretary, Rye Winchelsea & District Memorial Hospital, Peasmarsh Road, Rye Foreign TN31 7UD by Friday 3rd April 2020.